The wind farm siting Challenge aims to:
- characterize the suitability of marine sites for wind farm development in particular:
– on the border between Spain and France
– on the border between France and Italy
– on a French offshore wind turbine test site near Marseille
- evaluate the accuracy and the suitability of the available data and quantify the associated uncertainties via statistical analysis
This Challenge contributes in parallel to the data collection framework for checkpoint information and report assessment results in the literature survey and data adequacy reports.
Use of the 10-year database made by the Atmospheric Modeling and Weather Forecasting Group of the University of Athens (under the framework of the FP-7 European project MARINA PLATFORM).
The analysis of the database includes spatial and in situ statistical analysis. More precisely, the suitability of areas for wind park installation has been quantified by taking into consideration multiple criteria (natural resources and constraints) and utilizing a five scale grading.
The site availability is performed by using the mean wind speed and the wind speed index of variation (10 m), which are the most critical parameters for the estimation of wind power potential. These produce the five scale suitability index expressed in the next Table.
In addition potential constraints set by anthropogenic or other activities are included in a second phase.
- High resolution meteorological analyses for various characteristics (winds, air temperature, etc.) from past EU FP7 projects (MARINA, etc.);
- High resolution model and satellite altimetry wave characteristics from past EU FP7 projects;
- Shipping lines from AIS data made available by EMSA;
- Bathymetry (numerical values and maps) from the EMODnet thematic portal;
- Seafloor geology from the EMODnet thematic portal;
- Benthic ecosystem structure from the EMODnet thematic portal;
- Electric grid position from network operators and public bodies and from the EMODNET Human Activities thematic portal;
- Bird migratory patterns (from the literature).
|Name of Targeted product||Short description||Format|
|MEDSEA_CH1_Product_1||A wind – wave data set||shapefile|
|MEDSEA_CH1_Product_2||A suitability index of a wind farm in the NW Mediterranean concerning the environmental resources||shapefile|
|MEDSEA_CH1_Product_3||A suitability index of a wind farm in the NW Mediterranean concerning the environmental resources, the natural barriers, human activities, MPA and fisheries||shapefile|
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on products.
Atmospheric Modeling and Weather Forecasting Group, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), Greece
Institut Français de Recherche pour l’Exploitation de la Mer (IFREMER), France
France Energies Matines (FEM), France